Information Niagara has been in the business of connecting people and community services for over 38 years. From humble beginnings in Niagara Falls, this St. Catharines based non-profit delivers a number of exciting programs that help members of the communities that they serve. Information Niagara has earned a well-deserved reputation as the “go to” agency for information that can help both client and counsellor alike. Information Niagara is led by Executive Director Rosanna Thoms who, with a strong volunteer Board of Directors, have charted a path for continued growth and continued excellence of service for the organization.
Facts and Figures about Information Niagara
- Information Niagara began operation in 1974 in a small two person office in Niagara Falls
- now based in St. Catharines, Information Niagara has a staff of 14, 6 of whom are trained Information & Referral Interns/Specialists
- Information Niagara is a non-profit, charitable corporation
- launched 211 in Niagara in November 2005; a replacement for the former 10 digit number callers used to access community information
- publisher of the now retired “Orange Book”, no social service workers desk was complete without one!
- Information Niagara is one of seven operators in Ontario providing the 211 service
- known as 211 Central South, Information Niagara handles all calls to 211 from Niagara, Hamilton, Haldimand-Norfolk, Brantford-Brant, Guelph-Wellington, Halton and Waterloo Region
- in 2011, 211 Central South received 57,212 calls
- callers to 211 can receive information & referral service in over 150 languages
- on-line, searchable database is also available to the public, click here to search http://niagara.cioc.ca/
- Information Niagara’s database contains over 3000 community records which are updated annually
- Interpreters Niagara-Hamilton offers interpreter assistance to victims of domestic or sexual violence or human trafficking whose first language is not English
- operated by Information Niagara, Volunteer Connections is Niagara’s only on-line database of volunteer opportunities
- Volunteer Connections has over 500 listings of volunteer opportunities available throughout the Niagara Region, search for your opportunity here http://niagara.cioc.ca/volunteer/